Past trauma can be triggered by different things. If yours is showing up or you are feeling overwhelmed here are some self-care tips to employ.
- Emotions are normal. It’s okay to feel and express your emotions. It may be that they are an appropriate response to an inappropriate situation. Let them out in ways that are not harmful to you or others. Crying, screaming, drumming, pounding your pillow, dancing while stomping your feet are great ways to let some of that emotion out. Once emotions are allowed to be expressed we may feel a bit better. The release and expression of emotions are needed and healthy.
- Pause, breathe and check with your self about what you need. Do you need rest, food, water, to be unplugged for a while, time in nature, exercise, spiritual nourishment? What? When you recognize what you need in the moment, do it. Don’t put it off, take time to do whatever your self has told you it needs.
- If you feel like this is trauma that needs to be heard; talk to someone like a trusted friend, self-help hotline or professional. If you are not ready to talk about it and you don’t have to talk about it unless you want to, you could write it down and then tear it up. Sometimes buried or suppressed trauma needs these things but only when you feel you are ready.
- Be kind and gentle with yourself. Recognize that your emotions and reactions may be sensitive and you may be more reactive than usual. That is normal when emotions and trauma have been repressed and are now triggered. Don’t be too hard on yourself and know this will pass as you express the emotions and care for yourself.
- Speak up. Let others in your life know that you are sensitive. You do not have to explain any further than that unless you want to do so. Say what you need and don’t.
- Retreat. If you need time alone, take it. Doing what is right for you includes time to be on your own if that is what you want.
- Honor what is right for you at this moment. It may change with each expression of emotion or trigger of past trauma. Go with what you need now.
- You are not alone. There are people who love you and people who understand that past trauma can be triggered. Reach out if you need help with what is happening and with what you are feeling.
- Recognize that you are so much more that the past traumatic event. You have many tools and resources both within you and at your command to assist you now.
- Notice one small thing to pull you into the present moment. The wonder and beauty of nature are great tools to use here. Being in the present moment is helpful in remembering that the traumatic memory is in the past.
I hold you in love and compassion as you express care for your self. – Shelly
Knowing what nurtures, supports and fulfills you is a part of having wisdom. Awareness of what drains, constrains and diminishes you is another factor of wisdom. Designing your days to uplift what enriches you while shedding what keeps you small is how you begin to claim your wisdom.
Start to notice little moments and actions that support you and those that don’t. Commit to this awareness for a week. Take notes. Then you can plan your day to include more of what fills you in good ways and eliminate or change what empties or depletes you. Trust your self.
Think of harvest as a metaphor for your life. Now it the time that we harvest the work we have done in our lives. It is also the time to plant the seeds for what we want to grow and bring to harvest this time next year.
Look around you now and see what you are gathering in to you. Is it bountiful, ripe and luscious? Does it nourish you? Will your harvest carry you through the lean times?
We can gather all manner of good, delicious and fulfilling things to us. It is all a matter of the steps we take in deciding what to plant, how to feed or fuel its growth and how much we weed out while caring for those things we have sown.
I invite you to take some time to consider both this year’s harvest within your own life and to give thought to what you want to bring forth for next year at this time. It is our conscious intentions and actions that bring us bounty.
Hey, have you seen this rule book? You know the one that’s given to us by society and added to by those who had influence in raising us. It’s the one that tells us how to be, what to do and how to get along in our world. I’m certain you have one. We all do.
This book is pretty ragged and dog-eared from our daily reference to what it contains. Here’s a newsflash, one that I hope you share with everybody! This rule book is mostly made up of expectations and agendas for your life…wait for it…that would be other people’s expectations and agendas for your life. Kinda crazy when you think about it, huh? It would be one thing if those folks had your best interest at heart and ya know maybe some do. Overall though these rules are designed with an eye to what is beneficial to others and not for what is best for you.
The conformity construct of it is to keep you small and watered down. So I invite you to examine the rules within it. Ask yourself if the expectations and agendas from others support you in having a life that nurtures you and gives you the life you want. If not perhaps it is time to write your own book with a story that grants you the authority to shine brightly and play large.
Feeling tired, overwhelmed, bored or wacka do? Nature is the ultimate reset button when you need to rest, renew, and restore a sense of equilibrium.
Science now has a multitude of studies to prove the benefits of spending even twenty minutes in nature. But you don’t have to take their word or even mine for it. Try it for yourself and see what happens. Get out there and sit, walk, bike, hike, boat, float or zip-line your way to the reset you need. Do it today, I dare ya!
As you start and move about your day include some ways to show your appreciation for your self. Take some time to really treasure the uniqueness and wonder of the creation that is wholly, individually and intrinsically you and you alone. It’s a revelation and marvel when you do.
If you are like most of us this is a foreign concept. We are taught to care about others, the environment, our relation to the whole, our impact on the world, etc. Those things are key in being in harmony with life and I believe we need to learn to honor and appreciate ourselves too.
Stand boldly and vibrantly in the glorious expression of you! Don’t shrink, stand down or play small, instead revel in you. Find some ways to offer your gratitude to your self just for being you. Try it today and see what happens. Set a challenge to notice and appreciate at least ten wonders of the miracle of you. Bonus points if you find more than ten. Ready, set and go!
Little moments of joy call to us to pay attention to what it is that makes our heart smile. They ring with truth’s tone for the way they instantly restore us to our essential essence. As we experience them we are fully present in that moment.
Awareness of these tiny delights remind us that life is meant to be enjoyed while we are living it. They point the way to creating a life that uplifts and nurtures us.
They may be small, but they are powerful! When little moments of joy happen, notice them, pay close attention. Let them guide you and see what happens. Report back…
What is it that nurtures you? At first glance this question might seem frivolous or unrelated to your life. That’s understandable since we are conditioned to focus upon our work. If we live our life only concentrating on our career, burnout is sure to follow. Consider placing some attention on what nurtures you.
Start small. Begin with thinking about what uplifts you, notice what gives you energy, inspires you, makes you feel fit, centered or calm and happy during your day. These are the areas that support you in your life. They are a part of self-care and are what nurturing you is all about.
Acknowledge those things that drain you, tire you out, cause you stress and bring your energy down. Doing this is important because these are the opposite of self-care. Continuing to do too much of them destroys your well-being.
In order to nurture yourself commit to doing one small action today that lifts you. Also, let go of or modify one thing this week that drains you. If you add in nurturing things and release unsupportive ones you will begin to experience a lightness and appreciation for your life. This takes commitment and consistency. Nurture yourself each day and you begin to foster a life that cherishes you.
I offer Life Coaching services to assist you with: resilience, healthy relationships, boundaries, self-care, life design, awareness & use of personal wisdom, and goals specific to you.
Interested? The next step is to contact me to schedule a free Discovery Session. During the Discovery Session we will talk about your goals, dreams and ideas for your life. I will explain how the process of coaching works and my approach. Together we will determine our fit and go forward from there.
Use this link to contact me: https://shellyoconnell.com/contact/ I invite you to also visit my Facebook business page at: https://www.facebook.com/coachingbyshelly/ To contact me there click on the “send message” tab at the top of page and I will respond.
Looking forward to speaking to you!
“Coaching concentrates on where clients are now and what they are willing to do to get where they want to be in the future.” – Source: International Coach Federation (www.coachfederation.org)
“Once upon a time when the wind was new, I had a dream and created you.” The thought in my mind as I awoke today. It captured my attention. I began to wonder about the concept of being fashioned when the wind was still young.
The topic of whether intelligence, science or something much larger conceived of us is another conversation. No matter if you believe in some omnipresent being behind the design or in science alone, go with me for a moment.
Imagine for minute or two that we were dreamt into being long, long ago. It sort of shifts your awareness to the magnificent possibilities that exist within your being. How could it not? I find it difficult to believe that all of the planning to bring us here would not include absolute radiance!
What if my thought is true? How might if shift your life, your dreams and your space in the world if you knew that you really began when the wind was new? I am hoping that it sparks your imagination toward breathing life more fully into your being. What would it take for you to start living from the ancient, creative being that you are in true reality?
Join me at https://www.facebook.com/coachingbyshelly/ to explore more fully.